Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Granola bars for Jesus

I was faced with a dilemma.

Yesterday was our last day in Victoria, and I still had food left in my cupboards, dry goods like cereal, rolled oats, peanut butter, brown sugar and raisins. Some stuff in the fridge as well, but there wasn't much I could do about that.

If I left the food, it might be thrown out and I hate throwing out food. I even considered making granola bars and putting them in my suitcase. But I couldn't take anything else with me because our suitcases were already pretty much at maximum weight. Besides, it seems kind of ridiculous bringing granola bars in a suitcase.

While staying in Victoria, we passed homeless people every day. I don't like giving money to them because I'm always afraid it will go to drugs or alcohol. But I always feel so bad for them. What an awful life. But what can I do?

And our priests back home are always talking about going out to the peripheries.

I'm sure you know where I'm heading with this. When I told Fred he caught on pretty fast. He's a quick study that Fred.

So...I made a large pan of granola bars, (recipe here). It worked out pretty perfectly. I just measured all the ingredients I wanted to use up (rolled oats, honey, raisins and peanut butter), and then added the appropriate amount of olive oil, cinnamon and salt. I made 16 large granola bars, about twice the size of my usual ones.

But I needed some apple sauce which I usually put in my granola bars at home, but didn't have any. Then I remembered I had two apples in the fridge, praise Jesus. I'd make them into apple sauce. So that's what I did.

Then Fred and I went out and found 15 homeless people and asked them if they would like a homemade granola bar. They did. And the last one went to a man whose lovely big black dog came eagerly over to me, sniffing the package. I had to give him one as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment