Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The gifts we receive when we are present with the dying

Today I was blessed. I visited one of my regular residents at the long term care facility where my sister Maureen and I visit every week.

This woman I'd been visiting for about two years, is now bed ridden and I'm pretty sure she is close to death. Working in a nursing home you begin to know the signs.

In fact, there have been quite a few people pass away here these past two years. Most of the time there is no obituary. This makes me sad.

She was alone in her room. I prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet with her. Even though she barely seemed to comprehend my presence, we had prayed together before so I knew she was okay with me praying while I sat with her.

I placed my warm hand on her cool arms--translucent with the blue veins and thin skin so common in the old and frail--and prayed. She was in a seemingly semi-conscious state so I wasn't sure if she could hear me or not.

Then when I finished the Chaplet I prayed some additional prayers and asked God to bless her. She said thank you. Ah, she had heard me. This surprised me as I know that she is pretty deaf. But she had heard me ask God to bless her. Good I thought.

I told her I would keep praying for her and then I said goodbye. I asked her to remember me and she said she would. I told her I loved her and kissed her on the forehead. I left her room and felt the tears come.

I wasn't going to go to her floor today. So glad I did. Yes I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment